Evidence of War Crimes in Chechnya

New York
By Diederik Lohman, Rachel Denber, Jean-Paul Marthoz
Source: Human Rights Watch
Date: November, 3, 1999


A Human Rights Watch team in Ingushetia has interviewed nine witnesses to Russia's October 21 attack on the Grozny Central Market. Their testimonies suggest the assault may have been a serious violation of the laws of war, and Human Rights Watch urges the Russian authorities to vigorously investigate the incident and publish their findings.

Three large explosions ripped through the Chechen capital's downtown bazaar at approximately 5:00 p.m. on October 21, killing an estimated 140 people and wounding about 260, according to Chechen estimates. After initially denying any role, some Russian authorities acknowledged their involvement in the blast, but said they had struck legitimate Chechen military targets. The witness testimony, however, suggests that the Russian attack may have been illegal, as the use of powerful explosive devices in a congested civilian marketplace at an especially crowded time of day is likely to have been both indiscriminate and disproportionate.

The Geneva Conventions and their protocols, to which Russia is a party, as well as the customary international law of war, emphasize the principle of civilian immunity. This body of law prohibits attacks - even when aimed at legitimate military targets - if they are indiscriminate or disproportionately harmful to civilians. Humanitarian law also requires precautions to protect the civilian population, such as effective advance warning.

Witnesses said that the central market was thronged by hundreds of shoppers at the time of the attack. The shopping arcade, a narrow, informal bazaar stretching for some 400 yards along the trolley tracks in central Grozny, runs perpendicular to Prospekt Svobody street, the capital's central thoroughfare. "You can buy everything you need there," said Zalina Amirkhanova, a 17-year-old nursing student injured in the blast. "Vendors sell anything from second-hand clothes to vegetables, meat, flowers, eggs, jewelry, and medicine." Her upper right arm was seriously wounded.

Customers included Chechens as well as ethnic Russians and Ingush. "It was the main place to buy produce and household goods," explained Bella Titiyeva, a 27-year-old pharmacist. "I shopped there almost every day." The bazaar included dozens of small stalls jammed against one another. Immediately before the attack, the bazaar was "so packed that I had to almost push my way through," recalled Shamil, a 42-year-old math teacher whose right foot was injured. The market was particularly crowded at the time of the blast, as it was filled with shoppers on their way home from work.

The first explosion hit a building about fifty yards northeast of the central bazaar. Most of the marketplace deaths came from the second and third explosions, however, which occurred within 100 yards of each other in the central bazaar area.

The second explosion hit a building adjacent to a Number 7 bus, which was caught in traffic at the corner of Prospekt Svobody and Mira Streets. "I saw the building explode and then glass flew everywhere," recalled a 63-year-old female bus passenger. "I then looked down and thought, 'Where is my arm?'" Part of her right arm was blown off. As she crawled off the ruined bus, the witness saw the bodies of two children who were "less than 10 years old," lying dead on the pavement.

The second blast caught Bella Titiyeva in the center of the market, "near the flowers and confectionery stalls," while she was shopping for toiletries with a friend. "There were bodies everywhere," she recalled; her lower leg was shattered by the blast, and her calf muscle was shredded. Her mother recalled that "it was hard to get to my daughter, because there were so many bodies strewn around."

Another 34-year-old woman, wounded in her right leg, discovered her 16-year-old son's body lying between two stalls. She said the top of his head had been blown off.

Many of the blasts' victims were brought to the central Grozny hospital, where doctors operated by candlelight. "The first floor was packed with wounded and dead people," recalled one 25-year-old man who brought his brother to the hospital. "They were putting them on the balconies, the floors, everywhere." Some of the wounded were evacuated across the Ingush border that same night. Others, however, were taken across 24 or 48 hours later, and therefore faced lengthy delays by Russian troops attempting to seal the border. "I waited with my daughter in an ambulance for 24 hours at the Russian checkpoint," Bella Titiyeva's mother recalled. "They wouldn't let us through, even though they could see she needed urgent attention." According to Ingushetia hospital officials, the medical condition of some blast victims deteriorated as a result of the border delays.

For Further Information:

In Moscow, Diederik Lohman +7 095-250-6852 or +7 095-764-5938
In New York, Rachel Denber +1-212-216-1266
In Brussels, Jean-Paul Marthoz +3 22-736-7838


© 2007 Chechen Republic Online