Agreement between the Russian Federation and the Government of Chechen Republic
Source: Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organisation
Date: August 31, 1996
We the undersigned,
Taking into consideration the progress achieved in the realization of the Agreement on the cessation of military actions;
Making efforts to achieve mutually acceptable preconditions for a political settlement of the armed conflict;
Acknowledging that the use or threat of armed force to settle disputes is unacceptable;
Based on the generally accepted principles of the right of peoples to self-determintation, the
principles of equal rights, voluntariness and freedom of choice, the strengthening of national
agreement and the security of peoples;
Expressing the intent to unconditionally defend the human rights and freedoms of citizens,
regardless of national origin, religious denomination, place of residence or other differences,
an end to acts of violence between political opponents, in accordence with the Universial
Declaration of Human Rights of 1949 and the international covenant on Civil and Political Rights of 1966,
We have worked out Principals for the determination of basis of relations between the Russian
Federation and the Chechen Republic, on the basis of which further negotiation will take place.
In the presence of the Head of the OSCE Assistance Cooperation in the Chechen Republic, signed by T. Guldiman
Principles for the determination of relations between the Russian Federation and the Chechen Republic..
The above is an unofficial translation of the text of the agreement and principles.
- Agreement on the terms for relations between the Russian Federation and the Chechen
Republic, to be decided in accordance with generally accepted principles and norms of
international law, must be reached before 31 December 2001.
- No later than 1 October 1996 a Joint commission will be formed from the
representatives of State organs of the Russian Federation and the Chechen Republic, whose tasks will consist of:
- control of the implementation of Decree no. 985 of the President of the Russian
Federation of 25 June 1996 and preparation of proposals for the comoplete withdrawal of armed forces;
- preparation of agreed unpon measures to combat crime, terrorism and manisfestations of
national and religious conflict and control of their implementation;
- preparation of proposals for monetary and budgetary relations;
- preparation and creation by the Government of the Russian Federation of a programme
of rehablitation of the economic infra-structure of the Chechen Republic;
- control of the activities of organs of state power and other organizations in the supplying
of food and medicine to the population.
- The Laws of the Chechen Republic will be based on respect for human rights and rights
of citizens, the right of peoples to self-determination, the principles of equality of peoples, the
protection of peace, international harmony and security of civilians living in the territory of the
Chechen Republic, regardless of their national origin, religious denomination or other differences.
- The joint commission will undertake its work in accordance with mutual agreement.
© 2007 Chechen Republic Online